March 5, 2010

▲ — ▲ ▲

Have you heard Atoms For Peace? No, I'm not talking about Dwight Eisenhower's speech (can you reference a reference?)


If there is ever a Generation Y pep rally, I'm quite sure Radiohead will be booked as the headlining rock band. There are few major label acts (let's face it, they're still kind of major label) that I would huddle into an arena to see, but I am still waiting for my moment to see the English band under the lights.

With that said, I may be seeing frontman Thom Yorke very soon, and for this I am thrilled. On April 5 and 6, he will be performing music from The Eraser at the Roseland Ballroom with Atoms For Peace. I have been a fan of Yorke's glitched out, synth/electro album The Eraser ever since I bought it in 2006. Upon the first listen, I fell in love with the title track and it's beautifully simple melody and choppy piano samples. I will admit, it took me longer to warm up to some of the other songs, but I was young and naive (ha). The low moments of The Eraser can seem self-indulgent; Thom Yorke spending too miuch time alone in his room on a laptop? It is the unique production, cryptic lyrics and raw feel of Thom's vocal that drive the album.

Thom Yorke's new band, Atoms For Peace consists of bassist Flea, Radiohead producer Nigel Godrich, drummer Joey Waronker and percussionist Mauro Refosco and was assembled to perform the rhyhtmically driven music of The Eraser. From what I've seen on YouTube, the difference in personalities and backgrounds of the group give these songs the breath and life they deserved. Not to mention Thom Yorke is dancing all over the place. Check out some tunes on YouTube? If I snag tickets I'll be sure to put up some photos.

CP

2 comments: