May 18, 2010

Bravo's New Breakout Series: Hitmaker

There may be some truth to the idiom, when it rains it pours.

I've had a busy and exciting last few days/hours to say the least. I returned from my college commencement this weekend, a tired and unsure man. Like most college graduates, the next few months and years hold little certainty. With no place to live, a very temporary job and restless feet, I find myself pondering the future often.

As an aspiring singer/songwriter, I am constantly looking for new avenues to expose my music. During my meandering ride home Sunday, I remembered reading pop-songwriter Ryan Tedder's profile. 
At the age of twenty-one, Tedder competed in a singer-songwriter competition and was selected by 'N Sync singer Lance Bass as one of five finalists to perform on a one-hour special on MTV, performing original material in front of millions of viewers.[9] 
To say that Ryan Tedder has made a successful life for himself as pop songwriter/performer would be an understatement. The idea of trying out for a music television series appealed to me more than ever.

I have never been a fan of American Idol, nor watched any of the contemporaries. When I arrived home Sunday, I went to my computer and began scour the internet for music contests/television shows; it was worth a shot. I was very discouraged to find the only casting Mtv or Vh1 had to offer were for pregnant teens and drug addicts on True Life.

It then began to rain.

At the end of my search I found a YouTube video titled Now Casting! Bravo's Hitmakers with none other than Ryan Tedder's face as the screenshot. The video was advertising the casting call for musicians/writers/performers to be on Bravo's new breakout series Hitmakers.



I went to the website and found the show's info and from there it moved fast and got messy. Time for bullets.

  1. The NYC casting call had been that day, Sunday. I had been in New York City all day and missed the only open casting call in the area. My jaw dropped.
  2. Since I missed the casting call I could audition via a YouTube video. The video was due on Monday May 17th at 12PM and I was reading all this on Sunday May 16th around 10PM. How had I not known about this sooner?
  3. I stayed up all night filming an interview/filling out applications/loading to YouTube. Suffered a bloody nose and missed much sleep required to work at 9AM.
  4. Woke up the next morning and completed faxing my applications. Profile updated and interview sent on Monday May 17th with an hour to spare.
  5. Worked all day.
  6. Returned home and read more of the casting information. Because I had missed the open casting call, there was no guarantee the producers or casting group Casting Duo would even view my video.
  7. In a last ditch effort to get in on this amazing opportunity I booked a flight to Nashville for this Saturday, to audition on Sunday and Monday in the music city!
Please view my video and wish me a little luck! I'm extremely excited to get down there and show Nashville what I'm all about. Let's get on that Max Martin ish.




cp

P.S.


Congratulations to the Purchase College Class of 2010. What an inspiring group of people to be a part of. The humity was high at commencement and the spirits were even higher. Amazing things to come for everyone. In the words of Dave Gluck, "no doubt".




No comments:

Post a Comment